Monday 16 July 2007

Submission are In!

We got a couple submissions from Michael; we are posting all of them to determine the version that works the best. Also one submission from Gap. A big "thank you" to Michael and Gap for rising to the occasion and sending in some great designs. Please scroll down to vote!







Michael would like to add this about his designs:
1st Poster:
"The poster differs quite considerably from the "Juicy" approach and is more influenced by traditional poster design, cut and paste collages etc (might have something to do with an album of works by Andrzej Klimowski which I got from Andrew K and which I found very inspiring). The texture of the poster's elements, background and font seems to be slightly gritty which is to reflect the nature of the whole area of East Side at the moment (the only sleek thing there now is the Millenium Point). The area (or Zone) is destined for re-development, revitalisation and consequently Curing (hence Red Cross) through culture and art on one level and actual physical renovation on the other (hence the wide paintbrush marking the area, which may be seen as an artist's paintbrush but at the same time - a redecorator's tool). In the centre is The Curzon Street Station Gallery as a central point of these changes stressing the aspect of Curing Through Art. This is the aspect that the exhibition and the poster are all about and this is the actual place in which a part of this revolution will happen (red X marks the all-important spot)."

2nd poster:

"This one is much simpler, brighter - a bit in manner of Juicy poster. There is obvious relation between the shape of the pencil, the way the hand is holding it and a syringe. We are injecting the East Side area with Art (specifically the Curzon Street Gallery) and by doing so, we are curing it. That's it really :)"

7 comments:

shail said...

Hi Michael. I like your concept for the poster. good execution too.
i like the no gradient poster. if u show brush strokes at the end of the plus sign might look better. including a brush is too many elements.

krystof said...

hi,
injection poster is great....
just few things:
i would not put the myspace adress there, myspace does not look really professional, by the way myspace was voted as one of ten worst webpages profile of the web recently...
webadress for biad uce should be without http
otherwise good stuff :-)

Michael said...

I must agree with Krystof, myspace is not very professional and I would not go there either. It would be much better to build a mini-site related to the show (which I can do if I have enough time)

Michael said...

Ps. I am somehow fonder of the Injection poster as well, maybe in different colours or maybe not, but I think it works quicker as a poster. As my tutor put it, it is "hello. here it is. goodbye" So vote for it as much as you can, don't make me vote for myself ;))))

Catharine A. Frediani said...

i'm not worried about myspace. i see it as a free tool we can use to send out info on the show. its an easy way to send out "virtual-flyers" to the masses and target the on-line arts and industry community. its just another way to reach people, and however un-professional it may be, or how much some people dislike it, millions use it and so i feel we should tap every source we can. i personanally have gone to quite a few gigs and shows from bulletins i have seen on myspace. i don't have the time, and we don't have the money to build a web page. but if someone wants to volunteer their time and money then feel.

Tofu~~! said...

Love the one without gradient. The thing is that if you don't show brush then it can mean anything. So i vote for the one with paint brush and no gradient.

We should not exclude Gap's idea. I see that as a potential invitation card. Very quirky but ties in nice with the first aid theme. What you think people...

Well done both!!

Catharine A. Frediani said...

Just thought I would leave my 2 bits. I think that both posters have been brewed from the mind of a genius. But my vote lies with the paintbrush, no gradient - the red poster is too obvious in my opinion and I enjoy the ingrained complexities of the black poster with the more subtle markings of the zone, the boldness of the red and the strength of the map that comes through. I don't like the reference to the needle in the red poster as someone said it looked too much like a hypodermic needle. I am more of a free spirit and feel that healing can be done without the forceful injection of a foreign substance - lets cure with our hands and our art, our tools, not something brewed in a lab. I know thats why michael chose a pencil instead of a needled, but I just don't like the reference. I agree with James that the paintbrush is needed to not tip too far to the "red cross/Christianity Aid" side. I also agree that Gap's idea could be used for something like a private view invite.